Fully Assembled and Marble Base Included!Handcrafted Models Soleil Royal Model Ship
- Handpainted and historically accurate, this Soleil Royal has the most detail of any of our models
- Own the finest ship in our fleet today!
- Requires hundreds of hours to build from scratch (not from a model kit) by our master artisans
- Plank on frame construction (a painstaking process where each individual plank is added to the hull one at a time)
- Built with rare, high quality woods such as light ebony, rosewood and blackwood
- Note the significant deck details: tied down cannons, cannon ball racks, planked deck with nail holes, etc
- Handpainted the colors of the actual Soleil Royal
- The model rests perfectly on a large, polished marble base between four arched metal dolphins
- Masterfully stitched canvas sails
- No plastic fittings (metal anchors and machine turned brass cannons)
- To build this ship, extensive research was done using various sources such as museums, drawings and copies of original plans
- Comes fully assembled
- Dimensions: 32" Long x 14" Wide x 28" High (1:75 scale)
A1202 Historical Significance
Named in honor of the Sun King, Louis XIV, Le Soleil Royal was one of the most powerful ships of her day. As flagship of the revitalized French Navy brought into being by Minister of Marine Jean-Baptiste Colbert, she was sumptuously decorated with wooden carvings depicting a variety of motifs emblematic of the French monarch. The taffrail was embellished with a rendering of the sun god drawn across the sky by a team of horses, while the ornate figurehead showed a seahorse flanked by winged maidens.
On May 29, 1692, the Soleil Royal achieved its hour of glory. With a formation of 45 ships, she defeated the English and Dutch fleets, which boasted a combined strength of 97 vessels.