Fully Assembled and Marble Base Included!Handcrafted Models San Felipe Model Ship
- Our San Felipe stands above all others in terms of craftsmanship and authenticity
- Look at all the details on the stern of the model
- Add this museum quality handcrafted model ship to your life today!
- Requires hundreds of hours to build from scratch (not from a model kit) by our master artisans
- Plank on frame construction (a painstaking process where each individual plank is added to the hull one at a time)
- Built with rare, high quality woods such as light ebony, rosewood and blackwood
- Hand painted the actual colors of San Felipe
- Look at the amazing details on the stern and middle deck of this model!
- The model rests perfectly on a large, polished marble base between four arched dolphins
- No plastic fittings
- To build this ship, extensive research was done using various sources such as museums, drawings, copies of original plans and photos of the actual ship
- Comes fully Assembled
- Dimensions: 38" Long x 15" Wide x 32" High (1:72 scale)
A0802Historical SignificanceThe San Felipe
Launched in 1690, was one of the most beautiful Spanish ships of the 17th century. She was the lead ship of the Spanish Armada and displaced more than 1000 tons and was armed with 96 cannons, enabling her to take on the most formidable ships in the French and British navies. San Felipe's role in the war against the British and French was to help protect Spanish settlements and harbors, to transport treasures, and to safeguard the long and hazardous passage back to Spanish ports. In 1705, she participated in a furious and heroic battle between 12 Spanish ships and 35 British ships. After 24 hours of battle, she was captured by an English ship, but was so badly damaged that she could not be salvaged as a prize. She went to the bottom with several tons of gold.